Invest in Africa Mauritania(IIA-M) is a not for profit initiative, established in 2020 in Mauritania, that works across sectors with leading businesses & driving forces of the country to do following things:
- 1. Create a coordinated way for industry to build competitive local businesses
- 2. Improve those local suppliers (SMEs) access to market information, business skills and finance
- 3. Improve the investment climate and quality of policy discussions in markets where we operate
The impact of our coordinated industry led-initiative work is tracked against the USD of the value retained in the local economy through IIA’s work as well as the number of jobs created.
IIA-Mauritania is striving to work with leading private sector corporates whilst being guided by the leadership of Mauritania’s strong public sector - including corporates from other sectors and key public sector bodies - to deliver programmes that benefit the local economy beyond, starting with Oil & Gas. IIA-M will bring existing members(including banking, training, certification and donor funders) together to create a business skills training programme to help local supplies in Mauritania understand what it takes to be competitive and support them to access these standards. IIA will do this by:
- a) Identifying, validating and linking credible local suppliers to larger corporates
- b) Helping industry save resources by working together for a greater collective impact than possible alone knowing that minimum standards have been met
- c) Running local supplier forums, to explain industry standards needed to participate, time frames and what’s realistically possible in country
- d) Offer contractors a pool of credible local supplier to work with and grow over time
- e) Ability to track suppliers standards over time, identify skills shortages and design training & policy interventions with shared costs
- f) Connect supplier to certification and finance to create a pipeline of competitive vendors
- g) Create a sustainable legacy for the country.